Applying for South African Official passports
Official passports are issued to officials attached to government institutions who have to travel on official business. These passports are only valid for a period of 5 years.
To apply for an official passport you must submit the following documents:
- A duly completed passport application Form DHA-73
- Your original identity document and a copy
- A letter on the official letterhead and signed by the head of institution or his or her delegate confirming that the passport is needed for an official trip and that you are employed by the institution
- Two colour photographs that comply with the Passport and ID Photograph Specifications (NOT needed at smartcard offices as ID images are captured digitally)
- Submit your existing valid official passport or if lost or stolen a lost passport report (DHA-335) as well as confirmation that the loss was reported to the police
You will also have to sign an undertaking
- To use the official passport only for duly authorised trips
- To keep the passport in safe custody
- Hand in the passport to the Department of Home Affairs if you leave government service or you will no longer require an official passport
- To return your passport to a designated person in your department or organisation for safe-keeping on return from your official trip
- To report the loss of an official passport to the SA Police Services and the designated person in your department or organisation as soon as possible after the loss.