BCur Hons (Advanced Primary Health Care)
This programme provides an advanced professional qualification in a specialized field of clinical nursing that is internationally marketable
The programme comprises a research essay on an approved topic and the following modules:
- Nursing Dynamics
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Cultural diversity in health and illness in South Africa
- Primary Health Care Management
- Advanced Primary Health Care Practical
Requirements for admission
(Please note that these are the specific programme admission requirements – the university has its own minimum admission requirements.)
- Subject to the specific admission requirements below, candidates shall be admitted to the studies for the degree if they hold a four-year diploma in Nursing Science and Midwifery that is obtained at a college of nursing in co-operation with a university.
- Prospective students shall be admitted to the studies for the degree only if a pass mark of at least 60% is obtained in the major modules of the diploma. Candidates may be required to supplement their knowledge of a particular topic to the satisfaction of the Head of the Department.
- Candidates must occupy an approved post and possess at least two years of appropriate experience.
- Applicants shall not be admitted as candidates for the degree except with the approval of the Faculty Management of the Faculty of Health Sciences, on the recommendation of the Head of the Department of Nursing Science.
- Candidates must hold a professional qualification in the field of study in which research is being done for the research essay.
- Unless Senate decides otherwise, candidates must be registered with the South African Nursing Council as community nurses.