Master of Nursing Science At UP
Master of Nursing Science (M Cur) Background
The vision of the Department of Nursing Science is to contribute directly to the South African healthcare services by producing nursing specialists through relevant, nationally and internationally comparable programmes. Registered nurses with the potential for postgraduate studies come from all corners of South Africa. We need to reach these talented people to help them to become well-equipped leaders of the nursing profession.
Master’s degree by virtue of dissertation
A student has to complete a module in Nursing Research Methodology and a dissertation. A bachelor’s degree in Nursing Science and an applicable post-basic qualification are required for admission. The master’s degree may only be awarded in the field of the prerequisite degree or equivalent qualification. The duration of the programme is at least one academic year. The above-mentioned degree is presented in the same specialisation areas as for the master’s degree by virtue of course work.
Master’s degree by virtue of course work
The programme extends over two years. The curriculum comprises the chosen field of specialisation in Advanced Nursing Science, Advanced Dynamics of Nursing Practice, Nursing Research Methodology and a research mini-dissertation. Contact classes take place at the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Pretoria. During these contact sessions, students are exposed to a variety of learning experiences, such as lectures by experts, multidisciplinary discussion sessions, high-quality information technology, seminars, group work sessions, accompaniment by expert lecturers and co-operative learning with peer group members.
The following master’s programmes are offered:
- M Cur (Nursing Education)
- M Cur (Nursing Management)
- M Cur (Advanced Community Nursing Science)
- M Cur (Advanced Critical Care Nursing Science)
- M Cur (Advanced Psychiatric Nursing Science)
- M Cur (Advanced Neonatal Nursing Science)
- M Cur (Advanced Emergency Nursing Science)
- M Cur (Advanced Child Nursing Science)
- M Cur (Advanced Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science)
All programmes will not necessarily be offered every year.
Registration of an additional qualification
These programmes lead to the registration of an additional qualification with the South African Nursing Council (SANC).
Medium of instruction
The medium of instruction is English, but students may write assignments, tests and examinations in either Afrikaans or English.
Examinations take place during June and November each year.
- For the non-clinical master’s degree: another approved bachelor’s degree may also be considered
- For the clinical master’s degree: a bachelor’s degree in Nursing Science
- Matriculation or Grade 12 certificate with university exemption are required
Specific admission requirements
- A student must hold at least a part-time position in an accredited clinical facility, deemed applicable by the Head of the Department for the field of study for the master’s degree;
- Access to clinical facilities related to the area of specialisation;
- Registration with the SANC;
- Registration with the SANC non-clinical programmes.
Application for Masters Degree
Prospective students can email Dr TK Bello (email@example.com) for application forms. Applications will be considered on receipt of the following:
- a fully completed application form
- a certified copy of the applicant’s matriculation certificate
- a certified copy of the applicant’s bachelor’s degree certificate in Nursing Science or equivalent, where applicable
- certified copies of all SANC registration certificates;
- proof of current registration with the SANC
- a certified copy of the first page of the applicant’s identity document
- a marriage certificate or divorce order, where applicable
- the required non-refundable application fee of R200.00
Completed forms must be submitted to:
Application and Selections
University of Pretoria
Registration fee payable at registration
Please consult http://www.up.ac.za/feesfunding
Registration date & venue
To be confirmed
For more information regarding the M Cur programme, contact:
Dr. Shirley Mogale / Prof Tanya Heyns
Department of Nursing Science
School of Health Care Sciences
Faculty of Health
University of Pretoria
Private Bag X20