2023 University of the Witwatersrand Online Application Form
Apply online for admission to Undergraduate studies (order of choice does not matter).
Certain programmes have additional selection procedures, e.g. portfolios, essays, auditions, NBT.
Please click on Additional Forms below.
- You may apply for three programmes (degrees). The order of choice makes no difference at Wits – each application is considered individually.
- If you apply for two programmes in Health Sciences, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce and Law, or Science). We strongly advise you to apply for more than one programme – keep your options open!
- If you apply for Engineering you are advised to add at least a third programme of choice from another faculty.
- A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, or R700 for international applicants, is required.
Documentation / Checklist
If you have not yet matriculated
- The final Grade 11 report must be signed and stamped by your school principal
- International applicants should submit a certified copy of a recent school report
If you have already matriculated (even if you are rewriting some subjects in 2023) but have not attended any university
- Attach a certified copy of your matric certificate/foreign school leaving certificate/s
- Inform the University of the subjects you are rewriting
If you have already attended a university/tertiary institution other than Wits, submit your school leaving results and a certified copy of your academic record and certificate of good conduct
- Ask that institution to send your full academic record and a certificate of good conduct to the Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC)
- Send a copy of your published results for the current year which should be stamped by the institution’s Registrar and signed by the Faculty Officer
A statement of credits/credit certificate is not acceptable.
If you attended a foreign university and wish to apply for exemptions for certain courses
- You must submit, in English, the syllabuses / course outlines, certified by that university.
Submit your application
Submit your application, required documentation and application fee before the closing date.
Go to the self-service portal – https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Deposit exact amount into the University’s Application Fee account:
Standard Bank, Current Account Number: 200 346 385,
Branch code: Braamfontein 004 805. CI Number 074A,
Account name: Wits University – Application Fees.
Please attach copy of M65.
- International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Fees Office, Ground Floor, Senate House, University of the Witwatersrand.
- Please use payment reference number indicated on your application, for example P1300000, L1300000, D1300000.
For general enquiries call the Student Call Centre on 011 717 1888.
Get help with:
- Application information for faculty admission, residence and financial assistance and bursaries
- Curriculum planning
- Career advice
What happens next
You will be sent acknowledgement of receipt of your application via email. All correspondence is also available on https://self-service.wits.ac.za, where you can check the status of your application.
The acknowledgement letter contains details of your reference person for you to contact for enquiries, and your person/student number. Quote this number every time you contact Wits.
Each choice of programme is treated as a separate application. A letter will be sent to you once a decision is made on any one of your choices. The letter gives you further instructions (e.g. pay a deposit to secure the offer of a place, or attend an interview, or write a selection test).
Current Matriculants: Wits will get your matric results directly from the relevant Department of Education, unless you are:
- a very late applicant
- writing matric as a private candidate or by correspondence
- rewriting only a few subjects.
If you fall in categories 1 to 3, please send a certified copy of your matric certificate to the Student Enrolment Centre.
Current Matriculants may be made a conditional offer (depending on the Grade 11 results), or be invited to attend an interview, or an audition, or selection/placement test.
Some faculties will make you a conditional offer on the basis of your Grade 11 report. No offer can be confirmed until your matric results are received.
Changed your mind about your choice of study?
Let SEnC know in writing what your new selection is (do not submit a new application).
NB: Check with SEnC to make sure applications are still open for your new selection.
NB: Let SEnC know straight away if your contact details change.
Successful applicants are sent communication offering a firm place. Information about registration and orientation will be available on the Wits website – www.wits.ac.za
Firm offer letters are sent once matric results are available (early January) or earlier if you have already matriculated.
Applicants are encouraged to check https://self-service.wits.ac.za once results have been released.
Reply to the offer and let us know whether you are coming to Wits
You can only accept one offer as places are limited.
NB: You are required to respond to the offer within one week to secure your place.
|Faculty of Health Sciences (All programmes)||30 June 2023|
|Bachelor of Architecture||30 June 2023|
|Bachelor of Arts in Speech and Hearing Therapy||30 June 2023|
|All other University programmes||30 September 2023|
|Residence applications||30 September 2023|
|The abovementioned closing dates are also applicable to International applicants|
NSFAS applications to be made online at www.nsfas.org.za Tel: 0860 067 327
|Grade 12 and past matriculants||1 August – 30 November|
|Students who were not previously funded||1 September – 30 November|
Please note that the Additional Forms for 2023 will be available soon.
- Bachelor of Arts in Dramatic Art – interview and audition requirements
- Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television – interview and creative assignments
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts – audition/interview requirements
- Bachelor of Music – audition requirements
- Bachelor of Arts in Performing and Visual Arts – audition/interview requirements
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Arts – creative assignments
- 2023 Occupational Therapy Certificate of Attendance
- 2023 Physiotherapy Certificate of Attendance
- Bachelor of Architectural Studies – application exercises
- NBT Guide 2023 (Health Sciences applicants and BA Speech and Hearing applicants must write by 13 August 2023).
Fees quotation forms