Bridging Course University of Kwazulu-Natal
Objectives of the course
- Take an active part in searching for knowledge that will assist him or her to develop theoretical and practical skills in the care of the patient and his/her family as unique physical, psychological, religious and spiritual beings.
- Develop an appreciation of group dynamics by being able to actively participate in small group discussions and in class presentations.
- Develop and utilise good communication skills when interacting with patients, families, colleague and the multidisciplinary health team for effective care of the patient.
- Apply scientific approach to nursing (Nursing Process) for individual and groups at all stages of life span in the following areas : Medical, Surgical, Operating theatre. Paediatrics, Outpatient Department and Casualty.
- Demonstrate skill in partnership building in terms of working with a nursing team in a hospital unit, as well as with a learning group.
- Apply principles of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention in managing health problems at all stages of life and in all settings.
- Perform all nursing competencies within the scope of practice for the registered nurse according to SANC regulation R2598 under supervision of a registered nurse.
- Apply principles of responsibility and accountability for own nursing actions and omission according to the Nursing Act 50 of 1978 as amended.
- Demonstrate understanding of the steps of research in nursing and the ethical issues surrounding research on human subjects.
- Develop an appreciation of nursing as a profession by maintaining her/his own professional registration with SANC up to date, debate why nursing is considered a profession and discuss criteria for a profession and the role of professional bodies.
- Apply unit management skills in planning, organising, directing and controlling of a nursing unit.
- Apply principle of primary health care (PHC) in working with disadvantaged communities by being able to assess community needs, identify community health problems and give suggested plan of action for a particular community.
- Matric or Senior Certificate or Equivalent
- Enrolled Nursing Certificate
- Proof of current enrolment as a nurse
- Two years of experience as an Enrolled Nurse
- Permanently employed and practicing in a SANC approved Hospital