Hlabisa Hospital Nursing School
The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health prides itself on the high quality nurse training programmes offered by the departmental training institutions.
Twenty-four institutions offer the following accredited nurse training programmes:
Basic nurse training programmes
- 4 year comprehensive
- 2 year enrolled
- 1 year enrolled auxiliary nurse
- 2 year bridging to professional nurse (in-service staff only)
Post Registration Programmes (in-service staff only)
- 1 year midwifery
- 1 year psychiatric nursing
- various post-registration programmes such as child nursing science, orthopaedic nursing, critical care nursing, operating theatre nursing science and midwifery and neonatal nursing science.
Selection of candidates for nurse training
The selection of candidates is district-based. Some districts have been grouped in line with the nature of the training programmes offered within the district(s). Applicants should submit their applications to the district selection committee in which they reside.
Six district selection committees have been identified as follows:
- Ethekwini, Ilembe, Ugu (Ethekwini, DC 29 and DC21) – Ethekwini District Selection Committee
- uMgungundlovu, Sisonke (DC22 and DC43) – uMgungundlovu district selection committee
- Uthukela, Umzinyathi, Amajuba (DC23, DC24 and DC25) – Dundee district selection committee
- Uthungulu (DC28) – Uthungulu district selection committee
- Zululand (DC26) – Zululand district selection committee
- Umkhanyakude (DC27) – Umkhanyakude district selection committee
Guidelines to applicants
- An advertisement for nurse training posts appear in the local newspaper’s – (Ilanga, Zululand Observer, Mercury and Witness) – local hospitals and clinics in January each year – requirements of the training programme will be stipulated in the advertisement.
- Instructions in the advert to be complied with e.g. regarding the documentation to be submitted with the application letter and catchment area.
- It is not necessary to fill in application forms (Z 83) at this stage.
- An application letter and certified copies of certificates must reach the address provided in the advertisement on or before the closing date.
- Do not send applications to an address other than the one in the advertisement, no hand delivered applications will be entertained.
- No applications are to be directed to the training institutions/hospitals or head office (Natalia), or the KwaZulu-Natal College of Nursing.
- Ensure that the advertisement is read in its entirety especially with regard to responses to applicants.
- Due to the large number of applications received only successful applications will be responded to.
- Please note, no waiting lists are kept.
- Any applicant who has been in previous training in the 4 year programme and has been excluded, will not be eligible for entry into the same programme.
For further information, contact the KwaZulu-Natal College of Nursing on the following numbers