What is the Bachelor of Nursing selection criteria?
- Bachelor of Nursing – 8NE H01 – G401 P/M.
- Four (4) year degree and one (1) year community service.
- Register at the South African Nursing Council in General Nursing & Midwifery.
- National Senior Certificate with university exemption or equivalent;
- An APS score ≥25;
- Physical Science or Life sciences or Mathematics at level 4 (at least 50%);
- English or Afrikaans (language of tuition) at level 4 (at least 50%).
School of Nursing Science specific admission criteria:
- Apply online for admission to the NWU with final grade 11 exam results: Deadline 31 July.
All prospective students need to comply with the following steps to be considered for selection for the degree in Nursing and submit the following documents after the completion of the online application:
- Participation in “shadowing programme” is recommended before selection to the programme: Deadline 31 July. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, applicants that did not do job shadowing will also be considered.
- Grade 12 June exam results: Deadline 2nd week in August
- University selection test for first year nursing students: Will be communicated.
PLEASE NOTE: Should the June grade 12 exam marks not be submitted by the 2nd week of August (or as soon as possible after receiving the results), then there will be assumed that you are no longer interested to study B. Nursing at the NWU.
|Mahikeng Campus||Potchefstroom Campus|
|Tshegofatso Molemane||Bernice Mokele|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Email: Bernice.Mokele@nwu.ac.za|
|Tel: 018 389 2465||Tel: 018 299 1877|
Required NSC subjects and selection process.
Provisional selection of a minimum of 60 candidates per campus, will take place during the 3rd week of August, taking into account of the following:
- Grade 12 June exam results – primarily in Mathematics or Physical Sciences or Life Sciences, as well as APS score will be used to calculate a quantitative selection mark.
- Henceforth all candidates’ selection mark are arranged from highest to lowest and the top 80 (+10%) are placed on the “provisional” selection list.
- Successful candidates will be informed of the selection process results via SMS and/or email.
- The final selection will be completed as soon as the final grade 12 exam results are available (usually early January).
- University selection test for first year nursing students: Will be communicated via SMS and/or email.
- 40 hours (1 week) of job shadowing is recommended as part of the selection process.
Download Important Documents:
Medium of Instruction.
The language of instruction for contact students at the Mahikeng Campus in this curriculum is English. The language of instruction for contact students at the Potchefstroom Campus in this curriculum is Afrikaans. Lectures are made accessible by means of educational interpreting into English for students who do not have sufficient capacity in Afrikaans. In certain modules the language of instruction is English and the lectures are made accessible by means of educational interpreting into Afrikaans.
Nursing Admission requirements
Please note that the below admission requirements are subject to change pending selection and possible faculty-specific requirements.
Study information is subject to change and is a summary of the general fields of study. This information was compiled for introduction and orientation purposes and the North-West University accepts no liability for inaccuracies that may occur in this guide. The official yearbook of the University must in all cases be consulted during the process of compiling a programme for a specific field of study. The appropriate yearbook is available on request at: email@example.com / 018 285 4320 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that, owing to specific capacity constraints, the University reserves the right to select candidates for admission to certain fields of study. This means that prospective students who comply with the minimum requirements will not automatically be admitted to the courses in question. Because of the capacity limitations and the high demand from students for admission to particular fields of study, students will be selected on the basis of their Grade 12 results for admission to these fields,
Apply here (Applications open 15 April 2023):
- Closing dates:
- Non-selection courses: 30 September 2023
- Music: 31 August 2023 – Also apply for an audition before the closing date
- Graphic Design: 31 August 2023
- Engineering: 30 September 2023
- Occupational Hygiene: 30 September 2023
- Urban and Regional planning: 30 September 2023
- Pharmacy: 31 July 2023
- All other selection courses: 31 July 2023
- Undergraduate enquiries
- 018 285 4320
- Clarification of application statuses