When to apply for your South African passport renewal?
Most countries require that travellers have at least six months availability on their passport beyond the date of departure. Therefore, you are advised to renew your passport before it expires within the time frame of your travels.
|First Application for Tourist Passport||R400|
|Re-apply must bring old passport copy||R400|
South African Passport Renewal Requirements
- A copy of your ID
- Passport fee of R400
- Your old passport
How to apply online
1. Account registration
- Go to the eHomeAffairs website and register
- Create a profile
- Answer the security questions
- Create a password
- Capture the OTP (one-time pin) sent to your cell phone
- Finally, attach a copy of your ID
2. Making the payment
- Enter your bank account details on the eHomeAffairs site
- Log in to your Internet banking to authorise the payment
- Log in to your Internet banking account: go to the “My Bills” option under “Payments” to initiate the payment instruction
- Add the Department of Home Affairs as a beneficiary, and a payment instruction will appear under “My Bills”
- Finally, enter your reference number and approve the R400 payment to the Department of Home Affairs
3. Record your biometrics
Option 1: Home Affairs branch
- Once the Department of Home Affairs has registered your payment you will be eligible to proceed with your biometrics data – two thumbprints, a photo and your signature
- You do not need to make an appointment at Home Affairs. Simply go to your local branch to have your biometrics done
- You will need to take your ID book with you to the Home Affairs branch
Option 2: Home Affairs equipped bank branch
- Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria residents can make an appointment for their biometrics at their local bank branch once their payment has been registered
- You will be given a choice of time slots. Once you’ve selected a time slot, you will be sent a confirmation via SMS and email
- You will need to take your ID book and confirmation email or SMS with you when going to your local bank branch.
4. Wait for an SMS or email
You will receive a notification that your passport is ready for collection at the Home Affairs or bank branch where your biometrics were captured, after approximately 10 days.
With eHomeAffairs services available, your South African passport renewal process should prove to be a simple and easy task to do before booking your flight to your dream destination.